Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Shrewsbury Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Blower's Repository, Shuts of Shrewsbury 1
Proud Salopian
Posted: Jun 4 2005, 06:35 PM

The Sentinel

Group: Forum Moderator
Member No.: 24

Shuts of Shrewsbury No. 1 - Blower's Repository

Castle Gates - Raven Meadows

Welcome to the first in a series of threads exploring the many shuts, passageways and other shortcuts in Shrewsbury's ancient, haphazard and ever-evolving town centre.

The first shut I will be showing you is one that many do not know exists, mainly because it's closed whenever Shrewsbury's new research library is closed (making it officially a shut!) and also because it's only 10 years old. It just proves my theory that for every shut closed in the town, a new one opens up somewhere else.

Starting half-way up Castle Gates, next to the reference library, is the archway to the top entrance of the shut, which has written in its masonry "Blower's Repository".

user posted image

Walk through this archway (if the door is open of course) and you'll enter a small courtyard outside the new research library. Look down and you'll see this...

user posted image

Floreat Salopia! This courtyard is an excellent place to view the back end of the Old Shrewsbury School buildings, now used as the main library of the county. To look the other way, you need to be in the children's section of the library.

user posted image

Continue along the passage after the courtyard and down the steps. The good thing about this new shut is the natural light and seating. I've never had any problems with yobs hanging about down here, probably due to the fact that it's closed at night and is also so open. At the bottom of the steps you end up at the bus station. At the bottom is a handy map of the passages in the area too.

user posted image

The shut technically isn't a public thoroughfare and is part of the research library. But that doesn't bother the people, including myself, who use it as a rather handy shortcut up the hill. As I've said, it is shut at night/whenever the library is closed.

I haven't found out why it's called Blower's Repository, but I'm sure you'll be able to find out in the research library itself.

--------------------
David.
The Proud Salopian
Charles Darwin
Posted: Jun 4 2005, 07:10 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 86

Excellent photos Proud Salopian! Really detailed, clear. Did you take them ? And what an informative thread !
Proud Salopian
Posted: Jun 4 2005, 07:51 PM

The Sentinel

Yes I took them and they'd be even clearer if it weren't for the image hosting website scaling them down... but oh well wink.gif

I have become a bit of a fanantic about Shrewsbury's shuts and ways. Hopefully I can share my knowlegde and let people know about all the shortcuts available in the town centre - it can make life easier (and more interesting)!

Also, of course, my knowlegde is still patchy. If anyone can fill me in about why Blower's Repository is called so - please do! smile.gif

--------------------
David.
The Proud Salopian
Proud Salopian
Posted: Jun 4 2005, 08:02 PM

The Sentinel

I've found the "handy map" which is at the foot of Blower's Repository on the internet...

http://www.shropshire.gov.uk/res.nsf/67D34...%20Archives.jpg

(if the image link doesn't work, tell me!)

--------------------
David.
The Proud Salopian
s.g.d.
Posted: Jun 4 2005, 11:09 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 32

"Blowers" used to trade on Pride Hill (their name is still above superdrug) and the archives centre was built on the site of their repository(warehouse/lock-up)

--------------------
the peoples republic of shropshire
s.g.d.
Posted: Jun 4 2005, 11:11 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 32

PS the childrens libray has moved,it is now the literature section.

--------------------
the peoples republic of shropshire
Proud Salopian
Posted: Jun 5 2005, 09:44 AM

The Sentinel

Thanks again for the info sgd! biggrin.gif

--------------------
David.
The Proud Salopian
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive